Ajith Kumar’s films have always had great ‘opening’ in theatres in Tamil Nadu and abroad when they release. There is no disputing this fact; however, the question is how long the momentum is sustained.
Going by the ‘opening’, all of Ajith’s films should have run for 100 or 150 days but this hasn’t been the case with many of his recent films. Let’s now look into actual box-office collections of his last five films.
• Directed by Chakri Taloti, Billa 2 was released with huge expectations as Billa by Vishnuvardhan was a super-duper hit. However, as it turned out, Billa 2 was one of Ajith’s most disappointing films as it only grossed Rs.32 crores at the box-office;
• Rumours were spread that Arrambam, directed by Vishnuvardhan and produced by A.M. Rathnam, was a colossal hit and collected Rs.100 crores in its first few days. This prompted taxmen to raid Rathnam’s premises; however the film ended up collecting only Rs.60 crores;
• Veeram, released on Pongal in 2014, was directed by Siva. Despite huge pre-release build-up, it only collected Rs.52 crore, faring slightly better than Vijay’s Jilla which released simultaneously;
• Menon’s comeback film Yennai Arindhaal, which had Ajith opposite Trisha and Anushka, released a few months back. Another film by Ajith-Rathnam combo, it had a huge opening but the crowds soon disappeared as the film moved into its fourth week. Rathnam, however, earned Rs.62 crores;
• Vedalam, which released on Deepavali, is already touted by Ajith’s fans to have crossed Rs.100 crores as B-O collections; however, the reality is that the film has surely fared much better than Ajith’s earlier films, collecting Rs.57 crores in its first eight days!