Now Tamil cinema has grown up in all aspects that it can compete with World Cinema.
Here are the top 10 films of the year 2011:
1. Aadukalam: This film which had Dhanush in the lead role was directed by Vetrimaaran. This film is based on the cock fights. This film has won various national awards. Dhanush acting was appreciated by one and all. Tapasee acting was also much spoken about. The songs composed by G V Prakash were very popular in every nook and corner.
2. Mankatha: This film which had Ajith in the lead role in this film was a super hit film. Venkat Prabhu has directed this film. This film is based on a gang who knocks away the money from the cricket betting mafia. This film also had Arjun, Trisha, Andrea, Premji and others in the cast. Yuvan Shankar Raja has composed the music. It is understood that this film has yielded Rs 130 Crores profit.
3. Ezham Arivu: This film is based on a Tamilian Bodhi Dharmar who lived in the 6th Century. Surya has taken lots of efforts to act in this film. Surya who has donned the role of Bodhi Dharmar should be definitely appreciated. A R Murugadoss who had the confidence that this film will spread the pride of the Tamilians throughout the world has been fulfilled.
4. Engeyum Eppodhum: This is a romantic film about two pairs who have different characteristics. The story of this film begins in a bus accident and speaks about the beautiful love about two pairs who travel in this bus. This film won laurels from all sections of people. Director Saravanan has wonderfully crafted the love of Jai, Anjali, Sarvanand and Ananya in a beautiful and poetic way.
5. Deiva Thirumagal: This film is a great treasure that Tamil has got because of the creation of director Vijay. Though this film was not commercially hit, Vikram can be given Oscar Award for his acting. Anushka and Santhanam are great strength to this film.
6. Ko: This film is a super hit film which has Jeeva in the lead role which was directed by K V Anand. The story of this film is about a photojournalist who tries to help is friend to become a politician. The audience was ecstatic because of its different kind of screenplay. The song Ennamo Eddo is popular even now.
7. Kaavalan: This film gave Vijay a helping hand when he was in deep troubled waters in his profession. This film was a pragmatic romantic film which varied from his usual formula films. It can also be mentioned that Vijay has begun his second innings in his career. Vijay- Vadivelu combo has excelled in their comedy sequences.
8. Aaranya Kaandam: Debut director Kumararaja’s ‘Aaranya Kaandam’ got a lot of admirations, both from critics and from regular movie goers. The film which did the rounds of international film festivals before being released in select theatres told the story of the day in the life of the six characters. The twist of events was constantly surprising and it had spontaneity. Characters found themselves without a plan, which is how life often is.
9. Vaanam: This film has given another opportunity to Simbhu. This film is about four characters that travel parallel and converge at one point. Simbhu, Bharath, Santhanam, Prakash Raj and Anushka have acted well.
10. Avan Ivan: This film which was directed by Bala had Vishal and Arya in the lead roles. Though this film did not do well at the box office, the film was much spoken about the actors acting. Vishal has donned the role of a squint eyed person which no actor in the world has donned so far. It is touted that Vishal might get the National Award for this film. Bala’s story was really excellent and varied from his earlier films.